Saturday, 1 April 2017

Aikido in a coffee shop

Photo by Kari Shea
I gave myself a treat the other day, and took my Filofax and Zen Habits book to a coffee shop in town to have some chillout time. After sitting for a bit, I felt a bit warm so stood up to remove my hoodie. As I slipped it off my left arm, I felt the slim fitting sleeve catch hold of my wooden elasticated bracelet and had a moment of perfect clarity about what would happen next. Uh oh, I could see the trajectory was going to perfectly place it into the face or neck of the man sitting opposite me! I dropped my hip and rotated the arm slightly downwards, and it instead shot with surprising speed between his knees and onto the floor. He was a bit startled and I apologised when I went over to collect it. In that moment before the event happened, it almost felt like when time slows down in a car crash as I felt able to make a decision before my jewellery turned into a projectile... It was such a trivial thing, but it's helped me understand further that my aikido training means that I'm more aware of how I move than I realised.  

When you practise martial arts, eventually someone will ask, "So, have you had to use it in real life?" or something along those lines. They're obviously asking if I've needed to use my training in a self defence situation, but it occurred to me that it's actually quite a fascinating question. Application of martial arts training in every day life is a topic that I'm quite interested in, so I will be posting more about the subject in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment